History

The school is named after Mr. Milton Peters, who was born on the 10th of January 1891. As a politician, he had a keen interest in education. From 1955 to 1971 he served four terms as commissioner of Education. At the age of 76, he was elected for a fourth term in the Island council. He is known on the island as the ‘father of education’. He earned this name by visiting the schools as commissioner of Education on a weekly basis and for his interaction with students as well as teachers. He died on the 15th of October 1985. 

Until August 1976, there were two high schools in St. Maarten. The Catholic Education Foundation had a MAVO school, the curate for MAVO Nieuwenhuis, and the island administration had a joint MAVO/ETAO school located at John Philips School. These schools did not suffice the demand. There was a need for more forms of education, which meant thamore schools had to be built. The Netherlands, financer of the construction of the schools, stipulated the requirements for building a school. In this school, various forms of secondary education would prevail. A special foundation was installed to run this school for secondary education. On February 20, 1974, the Foundation for the Advancement of Secondary Education Windward Islands (SVOBE) was established, consisting of representatives of government and the Catholic Education Foundation with a total of 11 members.

In the same year, construction of the school began. On August 17, 1976 the school was officially opened with 425 students and 25 teachers.

Mr. Ronald Francisca became the first general director. The school was named Milton Peters College, after Mr. Milton Peters (January 10, 1891 to October 15, 1985), who was commissioner of education from 1955-1971, during which time he contributed significantly to education.

The school now housed: the lower forms of junior general secondary education MAVO (grades 1 through 3),  the ETAO, a vocational school. In 1982 the school was extended to higher general secondary school (HAVO); the first final exams of this school transpired in 1984. In 1986, the MTS was added; the first final exams of this school transpired in 1990. In 1987, the pre-university school was established; its first final exams transpired in 1992. Shortly afterwards, the size of the premises did not meet the demand and so over the years many extensions have been added to the original building. 

The 1st of August 1990 saw the departure of Mr. Francisca as General Manager. This also brought an end to the school’s customary management structure and ushered in the school community meaning: each school had its own director. This management structure proved to be inefficient; thus the school board decided to revisit the practice of appointing a general director over the school as per the 1st of  August 2004. As per the 1st of August 2009, the general director is charged with running MPC and Sundial as well; this promoted better cooperation between, and integration of the two schools.

Leadership MPC

Since the founding of the school, the following people have been General Director:

 

1976 – 1980                           Mr. Ronald Francisca

1980 – 1983                           Mr. Roel Kuiperij

1983 – 1987                           Mr. Mathias S. Voges

1987 – 1990                           Mr. Ronald Francisca

 

Previously, MPC had directors and deputy directors for the individual departments. They are listed in the following table.

Director

HAVO/VWO

 

Director

MAVO/VSBO-TKL

Director

Lts/Mts/Vsbo-Pkl/Pbl 

1990 – 1992

Mr. L. James

 

1992 – 2004

Mr.  J. Rogers

1976 – 1979

Mr. H. Schaminee

 

1979 – 1981  

Mr. W. Cras

 

1981 – 1983

Mr. M. Voges

 

1983 – 1990

Mr. J. Vliegen

 

1990 - 2004

Ms. O. Bryson-Pantophlet

1976 – 1981

Mr. F. Elstak

 

1981 – 1983

Mr. J. Wassenaar

 

1983 – 2004  

Mr. A. Rombley

 

Currently, the school has a student population of approximately 900 students and a teaching staff of more than 90.